Wednesday 3 October 2012

Roasting Tomatoes


When I was a greenhouse tomato farmer my first wholesale customer was Mark Klaudt of Route 40 Soup Co. fame.   He taught me how to roast tomatoes to enhance the flavour and reduce the water content.   As growers we had tons of cull and left over tomatoes we started roasting and freezing them for sauce.  This method works for any kind of tomato- roma, beefsteak, cherry....

You have two choices- roast at 350 F and come in and out of the kitchen and be more relaxed or roast at 425 F and have to watch more carefully.  If I am trying to really develop flavour I go for the hotter faster method and if I mostly want to decrease moisture (like for salsa) I use the slower- longer method. 

For both lay the clean tomatoes out in a shallow roasting pan- enamel or cast iron - as the acid from the tomatoes eats off a non-stick coating on aluminum pans.   Put in the oven and check every 20 minutes if you have the oven at 350 F or every 10 min if roasting at 425 F.   



The tomatoes turn brown, start to let out juices and collapse a little.  


If you want the skins off they just slip off at this point.   I like to keep the skins on, as they add flavour with the brown caramelized part.   For a juicier sauce or soup you can then puree or chop the whole thing juice and all, or if you are going for a thicker sauce or for salsa you can drain off the liquid and just use the solids.    I like to puree it and put it in bags or containers in the freezer for sauce in the winter.   It makes a really great base for pizza sauce.  

Check back soon for how to use roasted tomatoes for the best salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment